Professional Beggars

Topics: Begging, Homelessness, Chart Pages: 9 (2210 words) Published: April 23, 2013
1. Introduction

1. Objectives

As the number of beggars is increasing day by day, the public can see the beggars everywhere and anytime. There is a syndicate where the beggars are brought in Malaysia from other countries like China on a three-month social visit pass that provides them with the accommodation. According to the increasing number of beggars in Malaysia, thus lead to bad impression to the outsiders. Therefore, the objectives of this survey are as follow:

1. To identify the categories of beggars.
2. To determine the ways how they begging around the people. 3. To find out the reasons for the increasing number of the beggars in Malaysia.

2. Scope of the study

The findings in this report are drawn from responses to questionnaires given to the students and publics. As this study involved the students from UITM Shah Alam and the public around Shah Alam, the survey was evaluated.

3. Limitation of the study

The study will be limited to the 30 people around Shah Alam which includes students and publics.

2. Background of the study

1. Definition of Beggars

Beggars can be defined as a person, typically a homeless one, who lives by asking for money or food (Oxford Dictionary, 2009). Beggars can be either children, teenagers or even adults. The example of a beggar is someone who stands on the street corner with a sign asking for money from the people who are walking along the street. The beggars are becoming a common sight along the streets in commercial areas such as at night markets, outside restaurants and coffee shops. Sometimes, these beggars approach people who are having meals at the coffee shop. Some people give the beggars some coins just to get rid of them, especially when the children are frightened by their dirty look. Many people are wondering if the beggars are part of organized syndicates out to cash in on the sympathy and generosity of Malaysians. Nowadays, the syndicate is increasing since it is the easy way to get the money. Mostly, the beggars are the local people and there are also foreigners that involved in this syndicate which are basically children and older people who are involve as beggars.

3. Methodology

3.1 Questionnaire

Questionnaires were administered to the public to gather information about the increasing number of beggars. The survey will be conducted around Shah Alam within 30 people.

3.2 Data Collection

The survey was conducted through disseminate and distributing the questionnaire among the people around Shah Alam. The survey was analyzed through the answers obtained from respondents. The questionnaire was divided into two sections which is the first is demographic section in order to know the gender and the age of each respondent. The second section is about awareness on professional beggars. This section consists of 10 questions including an open ended question in which to know about the opinion of public on the government’s role in order to reduce the number of beggars, also to eradicate the beggar’s problems in Malaysia.

4. Findings

1. Demographic Pattern

1. Among the 30 respondents who response to the questionnaire, there are 17% (5) of the respondents were male and the rest, 83% (25) were female.

Pie chart 4.1.1: Percentage of respondents according to gender

2. In response to the question on the range, it was found that 83% (25) were between the ages of 18-21 and 17% (5) were between 22-25.


Pie chart 4.1.2:...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Rich Beggars Essay
  • Beggary: Begging and Survey Profiles Beggars Essay
  • Beggary: Homelessness and Survey Beggar Children Essay
  • should you give money to street beggars? Essay
  • Professional Beggar Problem Essay
  • Essay on ‘‘Giving Money to Beggars vs. Being Indifferent to Them.’’
  • Cyber-Beggar Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free
Sanitair | Every Day | Читы для Стандофф