The History and Evolution of Healthcare

Topics: Health care, Economics, Health insurance Pages: 3 (879 words) Published: November 15, 2010
The History and Evolution Of Healthcare

The History And Evolution Of Healthcare
Jay Williams
University Of Phoenix
HCS/440 Health Care Economics
Lena Lee Watson, RN, DHSc
August 5, 2010
The History And Evolution Of Healthcare
I can remember as a little kid growing up in New York City what the highlight of my year was every year; it was getting to go down south for the summer. My grand parents had this huge oak tree in their front yard that I love to climb up. My grandmother used to always say to me “Stop doing that tree, one day you’re going to fall and break your arm.” Well, she was right. I fell out and broke my arm. She and my grandfather took me to the hospital, the doctor put a brace on my arm, grandpa gave him $10 and we were on our way. Healthcare has changed a lot since then. During the course of this paper the author will be discussing the history and evolution of healthcare economics and healthcare funding timelines. In the 21st Century healthcare has proven to be one the largest industries world. For instance, let’s examine how much the U.S. has spent on healthcare since the days of the great depression. In 1929 the U.S. was spending $295 per person annually on healthcare with 81 percent of the people paying out of pocket, while the other 19 percent were covered by the government (University Of Phoenix, n.d., p.13). This was long before there was private health insurance. That figure increased in 1970 to $1,525 annually. This was mainly because the population had increased and more money was being spent to treat communicable diseases such as STD’s, Hepatitis and Tuberculosis. By 2007 healthcare cost had risen to $7,558 per person with only 11 percent of people paying out of pocket and the remaining 89 percent paying via the government or some form of private insurance. The cost of healthcare cost has increased so rapidly that most americans find themselves in a position where they can’t afford their insurance...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Economics Terms and Healthcare History Essay
  • Evolution of Healthcare Essay
  • The Evolution of Healthcare Essay
  • Essay on History of Healthcare and Economics
  • history Essay
  • Evolution of Healthcare Essay
  • Healthcare Essay
  • Evolution of Healthcare: Medicare Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free
Violence Jack (2) | Vincent B. Gorce | Justice League